On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 12:48 AM, Justin Dolske <dol...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> I don't actually think about:permissions is a good start, or that it's
> implemented "most of the complicated bits." Quite the opposite, really: it
> was a useful experiment, but has some serious problems. I'd briefly
> summarize the two main flaws as (1) "manager" UIs are generally not great
> (they provide some minimal functionality to change settings but are bad at
> informing the user what's going on) and (2) it isn't a great fit for the
> scopes of various things in the browser (everything from global settings to
> exact-url matches, with lots of subtle variations in between), let alone
> matching that to a user's mental model.

The scope of most web-facing features that are exposed directly to
sites is the origin. Cookies deviate, so require some extra attention.
But in general managing site matters at the level of origin seems
sound from a platform perspective.

The kind of things I'd like to see in the end are a list of origins
sorted by storage usage, origins that have recently used geolocation
functionality, origins that have background activity, origins that can
display notifications, etc.

And we should really start looking into this since the more power we
grant origins, the more we should really let users control it.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/