On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 7:13 PM, Karl Dubost <kdub...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Le 13 avr. 2015 à 23:57, Richard Barnes <rbar...@mozilla.com> a écrit :
> > There's pretty broad agreement that HTTPS is the way forward for the web.
>
> Yes, but that doesn't make deprecation of HTTP a consensus.
>
> > In order to encourage web developers to move from HTTP to HTTPS, I would
> > like to propose establishing a deprecation plan for HTTP without
> security.
>
> This is not encouragement. This is call forcing. ^_^ Just that we are
> using the right terms for the right thing.

If so, then it's about the most gentle forcing we could do.  If your web
page works today over HTTP, it will continue working for a long time,
O(years) probably, until we get around to removing features you care about.

The idea of this proposal is to start communicating to web site operators
that in the *long* run, HTTP will no longer be viable, while giving them
time to transition.

> In the document
> >
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IGYl_rxnqEvzmdAP9AJQYY2i2Uy_sW-cg9QI9ICe-ww/edit?usp=sharing
>
> You say:
>         Phase 3: Essentially all of the web is HTTPS.
>
> I understand this is the last hypothetical step, but it sounds like a bit
> let's move the Web to XML. It didn't work out very well.

The lack of XML doesn't enable things like the Great Cannon.
https://citizenlab.org/2015/04/chinas-great-cannon/

> I would love to have a more secure Web, but this can not happen without a
> few careful consideration.
>
> * Third tier person for certificates being mandatory is a no-go. It
> creates a system of authority and power, an additional layer of hierarchy
> which deeply modify the ability for anyone to publish and might in some
> circumstances increase the security risk.
>
> * If we have to rely, cost of certificates must be zero. These for the
> simple reason than not everyone is living in a rich industrialized country.

There are already multiple sources of free publicly-trusted certificates,
with more on the way.
https://www.startssl.com/
https://buy.wosign.com/free/
https://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-universal-ssl/
https://letsencrypt.org/

> * Setup and publication through HTTPS should be as easy as HTTP. The Web
> brought a publishing power to any individuals. Imagine cases where you need
> to create a local network, web developing on your computer, hacking a
> server for your school, community, etc. If it relies on a heavy process, it
> will not happen.

I agree that we should work on this, and Let's Encrypt is making a big push
in this direction.  However, we're not that far off today.   Most hosting
platforms already allow HTTPS with only a few more clicks.  If you're
running your own server, there's lots of documentation, including
documentation provided by Mozilla:

https://mozilla.github.io/server-side-tls/ssl-config-generator/?1

In other words, this is a gradual plan, and while you've raised some
important things to work on, they shouldn't block us getting started.

--Richard