> * If we have to rely, cost of certificates must be zero. These for the simple
> reason than not everyone is living in a rich industrialized country.

Certificates (and paying for them) is an artificial economy.  If I register a
DNS address, I should get a certificate to go with it.  Heck, last time I got
an SSL certificate, they effectively bootstrapped the trust based on my DNS MX
record...

Hence IMO TLS should be:
- DANE for everyone
- DANE & Trusted Third Party CAs for the few
- DANE & TTP & EV for sites that accept financial and medical details

The Firefox opportunistic encryption feature is a good first step towards this
goal.  If they could just nslookup the TLSA certificate hash, we'd be a long
way down the road.