> > I think that you should avoid making this an exercise in marketing
> > Mozilla's "Let's Encrypt" initiative.
>
> Perhaps that's why Richard took the time to make a comprehensive list of
> all known sources of free certs, rather than just mentioning LE?

Yeah, that's what I thought when I first posted here.  Now I'm not so sure.
You do not seem interested in hearing about any other technical possibilities
other than Let's Encrypt, which you seem to have already chosen.

For example:
- You say "there is only secure/not secure".  Traditionally, we have things
like defense in depth, and multiple levels of different sources of
authentication.  I am hearing: "You will either have a Let's Encrypt
certificate or you don't".  Heck, let's get rid of EV certificate validation
too while we are at it: we don't want to have to do special vetting for banking
and medical websites, because that doesn't fit in with Let's Encrypt's business
model.

- You don't want to hear about non-centralized security models.  DANE provides
me with control over certificate pinning for people visiting my websites.  You
seem to be saying: Mozilla's CA will have full control over all websites.  I'm
not sure why you'd want that level of responsibility.  If you don't like DANE,
explain why, and propose something else that is non-centralized and not under
Mozilla's control.

- Personally, I think that the move away from http:// is a good idea, and the
opportunistic encryption features are an excellent start.  I am not clear why
you think that we *technically* need to go beyond this.  Other than to force
people to use a centralized identity system.  Which is?  Hmm... Let's Encrypt.

I *really* hope I am misunderstanding this thread...  I don't think of Mozilla
as a company that would try to do this.