On 4/14/2015 4:59 PM, northrupthebandg...@gmail.com wrote:
The article assumes that when folks connect to something via SSH and > something changes - causing MITM-attack warnings and a refusal to >
connect - folks default to just removing the existing entry in > ~/.ssh/known_hosts without actually questioning anything. This > conveniently ignores the fact that - when people do this - it's > because they already know there's been a change (usually due to a > server replacement); most folks (that I've encountered at least) > *will* stop and think before editing their known_hosts if it's an > unexpected change. I've had an offending key at least 5 times. Only once did I seriously think to consider what specifically had changed to cause the ssh key to change. The other times, I assumed there was a good reason and deleted it.

This illustrates a very, very, very important fact about UX: the more often people see a dialog, the more routine it becomes to deal with it--you stop considering whether or not it applies, because it's always applied and it's just yet another step you have to go through to do it.

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer