IMO, limiting new features to HTTPS only, when there's no real security
reason behind it will only end up limiting feature adoption.
It directly "punishing" developers and adds friction to using new features,
but only influence business in a very indirect manner.

If we want to move more people to HTTPS, we can do any or all of the
following:
* Show user warnings when the site they're on is insecure
* Provide an opt-in "don't display HTTPS" mode as an integral part of the
browser. Make it extremely easy to opt in.

Search engines can also:
* Downgrade ranking of insecure sites in a significant way
* Provide a "don't show me insecure results" button

If you're limiting features to HTTPS with no reason you're implicitly
saying that developer laziness is what's stalling adoption. I don't believe
that the case.

There's a real eco-system problem with 3rd party widgets and ad networks
that makes it hard for large sites to switch until all of their site's
widgets have. Developers have no saying here. Business does.

What you want is to make the business folks threaten that out-dated 3rd
party widget that if it doesn't move to HTTPS, the site would switch to the
competition. For that you need to use a stick that business folks
understand: "If you're on HTTP, you'd see less and less traffic". Limiting
new features does absolutely nothing in that aspect.