Boris Zbarsky schrieb:
On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 4:10 AM, Karl Dubost <kdub...@mozilla.com> wrote:
1. You do not need to register a domain name to have a Web site (IP
address)

Name one site you visit regularly that doesn't have a domain name.

My router's configuration UI.  Here "regularly" is probably once a month
or so.

And even then, you can get certificates for public IP addresses.

It's not a public IP address.

We do need a solution for this space, which I expect includes the
various embedded devices people are bringing up; I expect those are
behind firewalls more often than on the publicly routable internet.

Definitely. Right now, esp. those router configs and similar web interfaces to devices are in a very bad state - either they run unencrypted (most of them) or they can only go with self-signed certs with mostly-bogus domain descriptors, which is pretty bad as well, or the user needs to create a cert and install it into the device, which is too much hassle for the vast majority of people.

Are there any good proposals on how to make those decently secure and keep them easy to use?

KaiRo