I think this is a grave mistake.

The simplicity of the web was the primary factor in its explosive growth. By
putting up barriers to entry you are discouraging experimentation, discouraging
one-off projects, and discouraging leaving inactive websites running (as
keeping certs up to date will be a yearly burden).

I understand that there are proposed solutions to these problems but they don't
exist today and won't be ubiquitous for a while.  That *has* to come first.
Nothing is more important than the free speech the web allows. Not even
security.

That the leading minds of the web no longer value this makes me feel like an
old fogey, an incredibly sad one.