Of course you know this is not true. There have been many petabytes of
free speech floating around on the internet for the last 2 decades,
despite not having mandatory https.

All mandatory https will do is discourage people from participating in
speech unless they can afford the very high costs (both in dollars and
in time) that you are now suggesting be required.  Or worse, handing
over their speech to a big company (like the ones many people in this
discussion work for) instead of hosting it themselves.

This is the antithesis of what the web has always, and should, be.