On 2015-05-01 8:03 AM, Matthew Phillips wrote:
Of course you know this is not true. There have been many petabytes of
free speech floating around on the internet for the last 2 decades,
despite not having mandatory https.
There are some philosophical discussions to be had here around "freedom from" and "freedom to", maybe. As one example, for a long time there weren't rules about what side of the road you drive on. It just wasn't necessary. Over time that changed, obviously, and the rules of the road we have now make driving much safer, and that safety facilitates more real freedom for everyone than having no rules would.

The risks and realities of the modern web are very different than they were 20 years go, and it's reasonable - and should be expected, IMO - that the web's rules of the road should have to grow and adapt as well.

For what it's worth, I think you're making a leap to "mandatory" here that is not supported by the proposal, but you do have a good point about the cost of participating in speech that's worth digging into, so here's a question:

If you run an ASP.NET site straight out of VS, you get HTTP-only, and lots of developers do this. Same thing AFAIK with pretty much all the serve-what-I-have-up-now tools on Linux, python, node, whatever. Do we have a clear sense of the impact this has on developers, and how to address that?

- mhoye