Richard Barnes wrote:
Nobody right in the head is going to be plugging an antique with a 1mhz processor directly into an unfiltered, internet-facing network connection, but I guess people who aren't right in the head like that are still people whose concerns deserve consideration.
The SE/30 was 16 MHz, but it was also 32-bit, which makes a lot of difference as compared to an 8 or 16 bit machine when trying to do modern crypto. And I promise not to talk about retro gadgets anymore, since this is way off topic.

FWIW, I concede that I'm among those that misinterpreted the original email on this. That it's still going to be possible to do basic things is good to know.

I admit I'm a mite sensitive about the issue, because our little community of retro hackers has been working for a very long time (over twenty years now!) on bringing up TCP/IP stacks, getting newer and better network adapters designed and built, drivers written and optimized, etc. We finally get to the point where cool stuff is starting to really be feasible and this comes along. It was a little like driving your sled dog team through the worst blizzard in history to be the first person to the North Pole only to have someone steal your sled just before you get there. :)

--

Eric Shepherd
Senior Technical Writer