From your blog post:

> Heavy activity in background tabs badly affects desktop Firefox’s
scrolling performance1 (much worse than other browsers — we need E10S)

I was under the impression that because e10s is only a single process for
all content (at least right now) a background tab can still negatively
affect the foreground tab.

Have we ever considered building something like the unload tab addon into
the platform or Firefox directly? I know we do some throttling of timeouts,
but perhaps we should also consider this heavier handed approach when there
are many tabs open.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/unloadtab/

"""
An essential add-on for power users that have many tabs open. Curb your
resource usage by unloading tabs that you haven't visited for a while. An
unloaded tab is restored back to its original state when you need it again.
"""