> I was under the impression that because e10s is only a single process for
all content (at least right now) a background tab can still negatively
affect the foreground tab.

That's right, but we also tested e10s in the process-per-tab configuration

> Have we ever considered building something like the unload tab addon into
the platform or Firefox directly?

We have talked about it (BarTab Heavy is another example) and the code that
Yoric wrote for measuring per-compartment main-thread CPU-usage in
about:performance could be used for this. It's unclear how to prioritize it
though because doing 100% reliable heavy tab detection will require
non-trivial effort (see issues with slow-addon info bar) and the background
tab problem will mostly be mitigated by process-per-tab e10s.