On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 1:20 PM, smaug <opet...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> readability / easier to follow the dataflow are rather compelling reasons.

It hurts readability for me and many others.
I don't see how it revolutionizes following dataflow, since we have locals
that are pure functions of args, but yet are not marked aFoo.

Outvars are a different beast, and in at least WebGL code, are marked as
such. (`out_` prefix)

`aFoo` is not a good solution for outvars. If outvars are the main reason
for `aFoo`, we should stop using `aFoo` for all arguments, and only mark
outvars.

I selfishly try to get the time I spend on reviewing a patch shorter, and
> aFoo helps with that.

It hinders my patch reviewing. I've been speaking to those around me, and
they do not see any value in differentiating args from locals. ("args are
just locals, anyway")

Though even more important is consistent coding style everywhere (per
> programming language).

Why don't we come into consistency with the industry at large, and also the
number of internal Mozilla projects which choose not to use `aFoo`.

I have found no other style guide that recommends `aFoo`. Why are we
different? Why do we accept reduced readability for all external
contributors? Why do so many other Mozilla projects not use this alleged
readability aid?