On 07/07/2015 11:45 PM, Milan Sreckovic wrote:

Removing the style guide for “prefix function arguments with a” will not
preclude people from naming a variable aFoo.  At least the current style guide
precludes people from naming non-function arguments that way, albeit indirectly.

I’m trying to understand the possible outcomes of this particular conversation:

a) Nothing happens.  We leave a prefix in the style guide, some code ignores
it, some follows it.
until the tools (and poiru) are run and make the code follow Mozilla coding
style.

b) We change the style guide to remove the a prefix
   1) We wholesale modify the code to remove the prefix, catching scenarios
where we have a clash
   2) We don’t do a wholesale modification
      i) We get rid of a’s as we modify the code anyway
     ii) We get rid of a’s one file at a time as we see fit
    iii) We get rid of a’s one function at a time
c) We change the style guide to prohibit the a prefix
   1) We wholesale modify the code to remove the prefix, catching scenarios
where we have a clash
   2) We don’t do a wholesale modification
      i) We get rid of a’s as we modify the code anyway
     ii) We get rid of a’s one file at a time as we see fit
    iii) We get rid of a’s one function at a time

I can’t imagine the mess of any option that includes “1” and wholesale code
modification, and if you remove those, the rest of the sort of start looking
more or less the same.

I find a’s useful, but I’ve spent enough time in different codebases that I
don’t think those types of things are ever worth the level of energy we expend
on them.  As long as we’re not adding _ in the variable names.  That’s just
wrong. ;)

—
- Milan