On 2015-07-14 10:10 AM, Tom Tromey wrote:
That assumes that the 'Foo' of aFoo is stable across function
boundaries, which is not always the case.

Ehsan> No, it doesn't.  In the scenario above, all you're looking for is when
Ehsan> a value was computed, so you can quickly see an aDuck, aQuack,
Ehsan> aFoopyFoo and determine that the value was passed down from the
Ehsan> caller, until you get to a call site which passes in something that
Ehsan> doesn't start with an 'a'.

It was mentioned elsewhere in this thread that some code assigns to
arguments.  In these cases going up to the point of origination may miss
the spot that actually introduced the value.

That's true. In practice though, I use this technique all the time and I can't remember the last time I was bit by someone assigning to an argument when chasing a bad value in the debugger.