I don't think the problem here is coming up with an architecture, but
rather having time to implement it. I think many of the specs you
mention would be a lot easier if we implemented the "Hooks for
security policies" proposal from [1].

There's already work going on for implementing the "New API for
creating channels", "Security Flags" and "Opening channels" sections
of [1]. This should be enough to enable channels to know if they have
a "tainted" response or not. But we would also need to rearchitecture
all relevant callsites to actually look at that. I would imagine some
already do, but not all of them.

Referrer policies would require other solutions entirely.

Anyhow, the short of it is that the missing piece here is having the
time to make these changes.

[1] https://etherpad.mozilla.org/BetterNeckoSecurityHooks

/ Jonas