On 7/18/2015 1:42, Kyle Huey wrote:
To be abundantly clear, no I/O should be happening (or is, to my knowledge)
on the main thread when you use XHR. The limitation today is that various
Necko state operations (e.g. opening a channel) can only happen on the main
thread.

The main offenders here are:
- synchronous "on-*-request" global notifications that are notified via the observer service (main thread only) and are widely used by various add-ons to hook/block/modify requests and responses that may block. This is legacy code. Async or different hook api would have to be designed to replace it. Problem is that all those that hook to these callbacks want to examine and modify or even block the requests, so it needs to be sync in most cases. Everyone want everything... - nsLoadGroup/nsDocShell et al are strictly main thread but this is just about adding locks to the "right places"

I have some plans (no bug# I think) to move at least some of the main thread loops we need to do now (not a few!) before we even start reading the network response from the cache or send out a network request. This may also mean to prepare land for starting network loads (AsyncOpen a channel) off the main thread.

Requirements list from your side appreciated.

-hb-

But that doesn't mean that we are doing I/O there.

- Kyle
On Jul 18, 2015 4:43 AM, "David Rajchenbach-Teller" <dtel...@mozilla.com>