On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 1:07 AM, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl> wrote:
> I think at this point it would be nice if we reached out to other
> browsers to see if they have any thoughts on this kind of API. James,
> would you be willing to email either public-weba...@w3.org or
> wha...@whatwg.org?

First, given a suggestion earlier in the thread, I tried an app
experiment and did some profile.sh captures to make sure we can
identify how much work could be saved, if any, with a new API.

I used this sample app:

https://github.com/jrburke/fxos-startup-test

There are three variations mentioned in the README, each with a
profile.sh capture "Profile" link:

1) The content in a template tag that is only shown once the view JS is ready.
2) Builds on the first one, but uses a CSS class that has display:
none on the <body> tag.
3) Builds on the first one, but uses display:none on the <html> tag.

More details in the README.

The way the app is set up mirrors the general style I can see working
with a custom element-backed view approach for an app, so hopefully
close to a real world test.

It does not include l10n.js localization work, but I was hoping that
could be done on the view after the template importNode but before it
is placed in the document. Maybe the document mutation observeration
that l10n.js does could cause another layout pass, but if no extra
layout gains with these captures can be found, maybe we look at an
approach with the l10n.js where the mutation observers would only be
activated after the initial async view insertion.

I am still very slow at analyzing the profile captures, so I do not
have any conclusions to draw yet. I appreciate it if others more
conversant with those kind of captures could point out things that are
weird in them, if it even makes sense to pursue new APIs at this
point, or if one of the above approaches is enough.

If there are other variations I should try, let me know and I will add them.

James