On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 11:59 AM, L. David Baron <dba...@dbaron.org> wrote:
> The W3C is proposing revised charters for:
>
>   Web Platform Working Group:
>   http://www.w3.org/2015/07/web-platform-wg.html
>   https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-new-work/2015Jul/0020.html
>
> The Web Platform Working Group ***replaces the HTML and WebApps
> Groups***.

This seems like a terrible idea to me. The WebApps WG is very
functional and has had both a good discussion culture and a good track
record of creating functionality which has been adopted by browsers.

The HTML WG has been extremely dysfunctional. Both with a mailing list
which has attracted lots of noise and little useful discussion, and
has not managed to produce a lot of work which has affected what
browsers implement (most of the "HTML5" stuff browsers implemented was
based off of Hixie's work in WHATWG).

Merging the two seems like a a very bad idea. It seems very likely
that it will disrupt the work happening in WebApps right now.

I'm very much for trying to find better ways for the work currently
happening in the HTML WG. But lets do that without changing the
WebApps WG for now.

I would personally prefer to put forward a formal objection to having
a merged group at this time.

/ Jonas