On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 11:17 AM, Joshua Cranmer 🐧 <pidgeo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Except that to demand contributors don't care about comm-central would be
> to demand of your employees that they should be jerks to the wider
> open-source community. Merging comm-central into mozilla-central, with the
> exception of the time spent doing the actual merge work, would reduce the
> amount of time that core contributors would have to spend worrying about
> comm-central in the short and medium-terms for sure.

I think framing it in terms of being "jerks to the wider open source
community" kind of begs the question of the tradeoff that's always at stake
here. It depends which parts of the community you're talking about.

Having c-c code visible in m-c increases the chance that a developer will
take TB into account when making changes to FF. This might come in the form
of including it in a refactoring/cleanup (and spending extra time doing
so), or in discouraging a refactoring/cleanup of machinery that TB depends
on.

We decided some time ago that we want to encourage those refactorings by
making them (a) more feasible and (b) take less time. The increase in
FF-focused refactorings and time-saving for FF-focused developers has an
outsize negative impact on TB and its developers. However, if FF has
outsize importance compared to TB, this tradeoff starts the make sense.

Mozilla makes very few "demands" of contributors. However, high-level
decisions like repository configurations can tilt the ergonomics toward or
away from Mozilla's priorities, which is why they're important.

It may well be that having c-c code in m-c decreases friction overall,
since it saves time for the people that know they're allowed to break TB
but choose to help it anyway. However, the cost of redirected work for
contributors that _don't_ know they're allowed to break TB is real. That is
the tradeoff that needs to be weighed IMO.

I also wonder why you have a peculiar insistence that comm-central code
> must not appear to any contributor, given the continued existence of "stuff
> that Firefox doesn't care about" in mozilla-central, such as support for
> tier-3 platforms (do we still have QT code in the tree) or xulrunner.

FWIW, I personally think we should remove things things from the tree.

The mere presence of code in a codebase has proven to be horribly
> insufficient to guarantee that people care about maintaining it--history
> has time and time and time again shown that any code that doesn't impact
> Treeherder results *WILL* get broken.

That doesn't stop people from spending time fixing already-broken code,
though, or from being discouraged from removing an unused API that is
referenced from tier-3 code.

bholley