On 1/22/16 06:12, Daniel Minor wrote:
Another difference is that sheriffs require a try run before they will land
a patch flagged "checkin-needed." In Bug 1239281 we're proposing to
implement this requirement for autolanding.

I'm always wary of using tools to enforce policy, since you frequently end up with a "tail wagging the dog" situation of policies that are driven by the limitations of the tool. I'm all for adding some kind of notice reminding people that they should try their patch if it's anything more than a trivial change, but making the tool enforce this is going to cause more harm -- in the form of development friction -- than good.

My understanding is that the autolander is available only to developers with Level 3 access, right? Given that this is the same group of people who can do a manual check-in, I don't see why we would make autolanding have to clear a higher bar than manual landing.

--
Adam Roach
Principal Platform Engineer