On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Tom Tromey <ttro...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> >> https://github.com/source-map/source-map-rfc
>
> Boris> Are there any plans to have a standard here?
>
> All I found was this:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.js-
> sourcemap/SD8sZ_7VFpw
>
> ... my reading of that was that there wasn't interest on our part at the
> time.  I suppose we could reopen that.

​At the time of the thread, I had hopes that the source map RFC repo would
take off. It never did. Maybe making a "proper"​ WHATWG standard would help
get people involved, in which case it would be a good idea. I wasn't trying
to push back in that thread, just making sure that we had good answers to
those questions because if we didn't then why do it in the first place.

In my experience, trying to get anyone to comment or provide feedback on
source map RFCs was a huge pain, and it felt to me like nobody (other
browser devtools teams, maintainers of compilers targeting JS) cared enough
about source maps to get involved or contribute.

If the effort re-materializes, here's what I think should be focused on:

* Clean up the spec text and any ambiguities it may have; make it a
"proper" standard
* Pull a wasm on the source map format: create an isomorphic, but much more
compact binary format
* Add the ability to encode source level scopes, bindings, and a way to
recover bindings' values