On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 8:40 PM, Nicholas Nethercote <n.netherc...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> (3) Do extensions use it? If so, changing it probably isn't possible. This
> can
> be imperfectly determined by searching through addons/ in DXR.

There is no rule that we can't break old-style addons: it just makes the
change riskier and may require outreach or an addon validation step. So
it's a question of risk/reward tradeoff.

Given that old-style addons are going away for 57, if it's possible to
delay addon-breaking IDL changes by one release until 57 that's probably
the easiest way to deal with this. We're already causing the addon
community a lot of churn.

> (4) Does Thunderbird use it? This is no longer a hard constraint, but is
> something to consider.

In general our policy is that we should spend only minimal time worrying
about this. A courtesy note to tbird devs is nice.

> (Although, if DevTools are moved its their own repository, that repo will
> have to be
> checked as well?)

I've been trying to find out some technical details about the devtools
plan, but my initial understanding is that they are trying to target stable
web/webextensions/debugger API surfaces, and so they *shouldn't* be
affected by gecko internals changes. But I'd be a lot more comfortable if
that were in writing as part of the devtools plan.

--BDS