On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 7:09 AM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [6] Note that it's not clear yet how we will be able to remove XPCOM APIs
> post-57 due to the existence of WebExtensions Experiments <
> https://webextensions-experiments.readthedocs.io/en/latest/>. I'm not
> sure who's going to make the call on which APIs we'd want to retain for
> those WebExtensions and which APIs we'd want to freely modify/remove after
> 57.

I don't think this will be a big deal.  Note that users will also be able
to run legacy addons (which can access xpcom) in Nightly with a preference
flipped.  We've tried to be clear in communication to extension developers
that once 57 comes around, we won't be making any efforts to keep internal
interfaces stable for addons so they shouldn't be surprised when interfaces
change.  I would hope that if we have promising or widely used webextension
experiments, that the relevant peers would be aware of them when reviewing
changes that might affect them but of course changing IDL bindings is only
one of a number of ways that a change to central could break an existing
experiment.  This is one of the drawbacks of having out-of-tree code, I
think its up to us (the webextensions maintainers) to either deal with this
or get experiments worked into automation if this becomes a real problem in
practice.

-Andrew