On 2017-07-19 12:01 AM, Mike Hommey wrote:
What's the plan for eligible people that still want to keep 32-bit
Firefox? Are they going to have to stop auto upgrades, which would get
them automatically on 64-bits and upgrade manually? This is especially
going to be a problem for users with less than 2GB RAM that do still
want 32-bit Firefox if we decide against the minimum memory requirement.

We have two options in mind:

1. An opt-out registry key (piggybacking on an updater feature mhowell or rstrong is developing). We would document this registry key before the 56 release so 32-bit users would have time to set it and prevent migration.

2. 56 will be a watershed release (for multiple reasons), so all users updating from old versions will get 56.0 before then updating to any future updates. We will limit the migration to exactly one version (probably a 56.0.1) so 32-bit users who were migrated but don't want 64-bit can manually re-install 32-bit 56.0.1 and not be re-migrated in a later update.

Other than end users, I can imagine it being a problem for developers or
QA at some point.

Also, what about beta, developer edition and nightly?

Our current plan is to not migrate 32-bit Nightly users to 64-bit. We haven't made a decision about Beta or Developer Edition users. About 60% of Beta users don't actually know they are on the Beta channel, so they are not typical pre-release testers and would benefit from 64-bit. With the opt-out registry key and the 56.0.1 watershed migration, there are options for developers and testers who don't want to be migrated. Given the options, is there any strong reason to not migrate Beta and/or Developer Edition users?