On 2017-07-19 6:58 PM, Mike Hommey wrote:
I don't understand why that would be, but if so it should show in
crashstats as fewer small OOMs on these devices.  Does the data actually
show that?

I don't know. Can that be filtered?

I'm not sure I'm answering the right question, but searching through crash reports from Firefox 53/54 users over the last 30 days, I see small OOMs from both 32- and 64-bit users, regardless of available physical or virtual memory or browser uptime. But small OOMs are always the top crash (10% or more) for 32-bit users. Small OOMs are about 6% for 64-bit users with <= 2 GB, 3% with <= 4 GB, and 1% for > 4 GB.

Here is a search for 32-bit crash reports with <= 2 GB physical memory:
https://is.gd/205aNb

And 64-bit crash reports with <= 2 GB physical memory:
https://is.gd/AezNaZ

But I see a lot of strange crash reports, such as small OOMs from 64-bit users within 10 seconds of starting Firefox. Or small OOMs from 64-bit users with 9 GB of available physical memory and 128 TB of available virtual memory.

I'm not saying they shut down because of memory. I'm saying a surprising
lot of people have browser sessions that don't last more than 5 minutes
(I've heard multiple times in the past years that we found that out from
our data).
Those people are not going to see OOM.

Users with only 2 GB and 5 minute browser sessions would probably have a faster user experience with 32-bit Firefox than with 64-bit, but how do we weigh that experience versus the security benefits of ASLR?