I've had quite a few times (every time I get a new machine) that I've had
issues with git-cinnabar and multiple machines. This has resulted in me
just scp'ing my entire repo every time I get a new machine (which comes
with its own set of issues... messed up paths in the .git/config, for
example). I grant that some of this is due to my own stupidity, but aren't
tools supposed to make it harder for one's own stupidity to get in the way?

I haven't even tried to share anything with anyone else via git, I just
send them a patch. The chance of mismatched sha's is Too Damn High! This
is, as the saying goes, suboptimal.

All this to say, I think having an official cinnabar repo (preferably with
cinnabar metadata I can fetch, too) would make things significantly easier
for a lot of use-cases, and I can't think of a single use-case that it
would make things worse for over the long-term (ie, once we have autoland
everywhere and no manual pushes to m-c or try). The initial fetch might
take a while if we include metadata, but that's a one-time (per machine)
cost.

Even better would be the "all the magic happens server-side" solution. Then
I could Just Use Git, and never have to worry about any of this junk ever
again.