I tend to keep a rather huge collection of tabs open at any one time (ranging
from hundreds to well over a thousand). I found the 50px length to be unusable
small.

It was possible to determine which sites were open from their favicon but it
was impossible to tell what page that was without more investigation. For me
that was a fundamental breakage to the way I use my browser. I changed setting
upwards to 70px but still found that 100px (the old default I'm told) gave the
best results for my own use case. Making it larger than that didn't add much.

My suggestion would be something like this, though I have no idea how it would
fit into the current UX design or goals:

* Leave the preference to change the tab width within about:config
* Revert the default value of the preference to 100
* Provide a slider option to set this within about:preferences that would let
people easily fiddle with it without having to poke around in about:config

Since not everyone feels comfortable with fiddling around with the settings in
about:config it seems sensible to have some way of handling this directly
within the normal preferences. A slider seems the most strait forward way of
achieving this.

I would welcome some feedback and thoughts on that suggestion.