On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 4:48 AM, Sophana "Soap" Aik <s...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone, great feedback that I will keep in mind and continue to work
> with our vendors to find the best solution with. One of the cards that I was
> looking at is fairly cheap and can at least drive multi-displays (even 4K
> 60hz) was the Nvidia Quadro P600.

Is that GPU known to be well-supported by Nouveau of Ubuntu 16.04 vintage?

I don't want to deny a single-GPU multi-monitor setup to anyone for
whom that's the priority, but considering how much damage the Quadro
M2000 has done to my productivity (and from what I've heard from other
people on the DOM team, I gather I'm not the only one who has had
trouble with it), the four DisplayPort connectors on it look like very
bad economics.

I suggest these two criteria be considered for developer workstations
in addition to build performance:
 1) The CPU is compatible with rr (at present, this means that the CPU
has to be from Intel and not from AMD)
 2) The GPU offered by default (again, I don't want to deny multiple
DisplayPort connectors on a single GPU to people who request them)
works well in OpenGL mode (i.e. without llvmpipe activating) without
freezes using the Open Source drivers included in Ubuntu LTS and
Fedora.

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 2:36 AM, Gregory Szorc <g...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Host OS matters for finding UI bugs and issues with add-ons (since lots of
> add-on developers are also on Linux or MacOS).

I think it's a bad tradeoff to trade off the productivity of
developers working on the cross-platform core of Firefox in order to
get them to report Windows-specific bugs. We have people in the
organization who aren't developing the cross-platform core and who are
running Windows anyway. I'd prefer the energy currently put into
getting developers of the cross-platform core to use Windows to be put
into getting the people who use Windows anyway to use Nightly. (It
saddens me to hear fear of Nightly from within Mozilla.)

> Unless you have requirements that prohibit using a VM, I encourage using this
> setup.

For some three-four years, I developed in a Linux VM hosted on
Windows. I'm not too worried about the performance overhead of a VM.
However, rr is such an awesome tool that it justifies running Linux as
the host OS.

> I concede that performance testing on i9s and Xeons is not at all indicative
> of the typical user :)

Indeed. Still, we don't need Nvidia professional GPUs for build times,
so boring well-supported consumer-grade GPUs would also be in the
interest of "using what our users use" even if paired with a CPU that
isn't representative of typical users' computers.

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 1:13 AM, Thomas Daede <tda...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> I have a RX 460 in a desktop with F26 and can confirm that it works
> out-of-the-box at 4K with the open source drivers, and will happily run
> Pathfinder demos at <16ms frame time.* It also seems to run Servo's
> Webrender just fine.
>
> It's been superseded by the RX 560, which is a faster clock of the same
> chip. It should work just as well, but might need a slightly newer
> kernel than the 4xx to pick up the pci ids (maybe a problem with LTS
> ubuntu?) The RX 570 and 580 should be fine too, but require power
> connectors. The Vega models are waiting on a kernel-side driver rewrite
> (by AMD) that will land in 4.15 (hopefully with new features and
> regressions to the RX 5xx series...)

Thank you. I placed an order for an RX 460.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi