Yes, most of the build time regressions in 2017 came from Rust. Leaning
more heavily on C++ features that require more processing or haven't been
optimized as much as C++ features that have been around for years is likely
also contributing.

Enabling sccache allows Rust compilations to be cached, which makes things
much faster on subsequent builds (since many Rust crates don't change that
often - but a few "large" crates like style do need to rebuild
semi-frequently).

We'll be transitioning workstations to the i9's because they are faster,
cheaper, and have more cores than the Xeons. But if you insist on having
ECC memory, you can still get the dual socket Xeons.

Last I heard Sophana was having trouble finding an OEM supplier for the
i9's (they are still relatively new). But if you want to put in a order for
the i9 before it is listed in the hardware catalog, contact Sophana (CCd)
and you can get the hook up.

While I'm here, we also have a contractor slated to add distributed
compilation to sccache [to replace icecream]. The contractor should start
in ~days. You can send questions, feature requests, etc through Ted for
now. We also had a meeting with IT and security last Friday about more
officially supporting distributed compilation in offices. We want people to
walk into any Mozilla office in the world and have distributed compilation
"just work." Hopefully we can deliver that in 2018.