On 01/16/2018 11:41 PM, Mike Hommey wrote:
On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 10:02:12AM -0800, Ralph Giles wrote:
On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 7:51 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyaven...@mozilla.com>
wrote:

But I would be interested in knowing how long that same Lenovo P710 takes
to compile *today*….

On my Lenovo P710 (2x2x6 core Xeon E5-2643 v4), Fedora 27 Linux

debug -Og build with gcc: 12:34
debug -Og build with clang: 12:55
opt build with clang: 11:51

Interestingly, I can almost no longer get any benefits when using icecream,
with 36 cores it saves 11s, with 52 cores it saves 50s only…

Are you staturating all 52 cores during the buidls? Most of the increase in
build time is new Rust code, and icecream doesn't distribute Rust. So in
addition to some long compile times for final crates limiting the minimum
build time, icecream doesn't help much in the run-up either. This is why
I'm excited about the distributed build feature we're adding to sccache.

Distributed compilation of rust won't help unfortunately. That won't
solve the fact that the long pole of rust compilation is a series of
multiple long single-threaded processes that can't happen in parallel
because each of them depends on the output of the previous one.

Mike

Distributed compilation won't also help those remotees who may not have
machines to setup
icecream or distributed sscache.
(I just got a new laptop because of rust compilation being so slow. )
I'm hoping rust compiler gets some heavy optimizations itself.

-Olli