On 9/25/2015 7:48 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
Would people be interested in the suggestion I have?

If we are going to get anywhere with end to end secure email, we need to ...

Phillip, if you want to talk about issues in Thunderbird, you really need to post to the tb-planning list, not here.

Concerning end-to-end encryption and Thunderbird, please see the blog post at https://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2015/08/thunderbird-and-end-to-end-email-encryption-should-this-be-a-priority/ and the equivalent discussion on tb-planning.

Thunderbird is also having serious discussions with the Pretty Easy Privacy foundation about addressing many of the issues that you brought up. They have already started to partner with Enigmail, which has a significant share of the OpenPGP users.

Please followup though to tb-planning, unless you are considerably more hopeful than I am that Mozilla as a whole is going to take up the cause of end-to-end email encryption in Thunderbird. Don't take that as disparaging toward Mozilla, they just have other priorities at the moment.

R. Kent James
Chair, Thunderbird Council
@rkentjames