On 10/13/2015 8:04 AM, Kathleen Wilson wrote:
> All,
>
> Many people have contacted me because they heard that Mozilla is
> considering removing the Email trust bit, and they ask that we keep the
> Email trust bit because they use the root certs in Mozilla's root store
> (NSS) with the Email trust bit enabled in current and future
> projects/products/applications. Gerv has provided some data from CAs in
> support of this. [1]
>
> Based on this discussion[2] and all of the input that I have received, I
> believe that we should keep the Email trust bit.
>
> However, this discussion has surfaced the valid concerns that we need
> resource commitment to improve the policy and practices supporting the
> Email trust bit.
>
> Here's what I think the person/people would do for S/MIME roots/certs:
> 1) Maintain and improve the code in NSS supporting S/MIME.
> 2) Become an expert in this area, learning about and providing
> information about how different countries, organizations, enterprises,
> and companies are depending on certs chaining up to publicly-trusted
> root certs that have the Email trust bit enabled.
> 3) Improve policies and requirements for CAs in the NSS root store with
> the Email trust bit enabled. This includes determining which audit
> criteria are required, and which auditors may be used.
> 4) Review each of the root inclusion/change requests for roots with the
> Email trust bit to be enabled, and provide feedback in
> mozilla.dev.security.policy.
> 5) Contribute to the decisions about whether or not to approve each
> request to enable the Email trust bit.
>
> I believe that such a resource commitment would satisfy all of the
> arguments against the Email trust bit that Ryan so eloquently
> summarized. [3]
>
> Is this a fair assessment?
>
> Is there anything else that should be added to the "job description" above?
>
> Thanks,
> Kathleen
>
> [1]https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/atSYV_QPPFA/3NRrmmwBAgAJ
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/atSYV_QPPFA/9QRe7JlSAwAJ
>
> [2]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/atSYV_QPPFA/M6OpyA5FBAAJ
>
> [3]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/atSYV_QPPFA/ycC96j6PBAAJ

For E-mail, I would much rather use OpenPGP instead of S/MIME.  However,
the mail-news component alters E-mail and newsgroup messages in a way
after they have been encyrpted or signed that renders the encryption or
signature invalid.  Bug reports about this situation are generally
marked Closed/WontFix.

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html>.