Richard,

the problem with this approach is that the *subscriber* might not be
authorized to make this decision for the parent domain. To go back to
the GitHub case, the "owner" of a github.io subdomain telling you that
they are authorized to own a certificate that covers github.io is
irrelevant, as they have never demonstrated ownership of that domain.

The right approach would be to revoke the affected certificates
immediately and inform your subscribers that they will need to re-issue
their certificates (while also verifying ownership of the root domain).

Here's another similar case - cloudapp.net, which belongs to Microsoft
Azure. I'm fairly certain this certificate was not authorized by Microsoft:

https://crt.sh/?id=29805555

Thanks,

Patrick