From: Ryan Sleevi
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2016 10:27 AM
To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: Time to distrust

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 6:03:01 AM UTC-7, Peter Kurrasch wrote:

> * Revocation: If a particular cert has been revoked for any reason, I should
> be able to find that out so that I will know not to use it. Ideally this is
> handled automatically in software but for various reasons it doesn't always
> work out that way. I'm not sure if the manual tools are all that robust (or
> exist?), but that almost doesn't matter because I'm dependent either way on
> the issuer of the cert to issue the proper revocation. In the case of WoSign,
> there are documented cases where certs were issued improperly. (I'm not sure
> if we have documented cases where revocations were made improperly?)

Note: In pretty much all major software, automatic revocation doesn't work
under an adversarial threat model. That is, you can consider two types of
misissuance: Procedural misissuance (perhaps it states Yahoo rather than
Google) and adversarial misissuance (that is, someone attempting to
impersonate). I'm handwaving a bit here, because it's more of a spectrum, but
we might broadly lump it as "stupidity" that causes insecurity and "evil" that
causes insecurity.

Stupidity is important/relevant to trust decisions, to some extent. However, in
practice, I doubt you're examining each certificate presented to you on each
connection *before* you send data on that connection, which is what the CPS's
are worded to suggestion, so it's unlikely you're making major trust decisions
on the basis that the certificate says it was for "Yahoo"

So you're most likely concerned about 'evil' misissuance - those that an
adversarial attacker is attempting to gain access to your private
communications. And it's under this model that revocation doesn't work, due to
the attacker's ability to perform various exploits (such as blocking
communication to revocation servers, or stapling an OCSP GOOD response).

For this reason, I would encourage you not to think of Revocation as an
important factor of trust. I agree that you want to know if a certificate is
revoked in the abstract, and if we have reliable solutions that can help
facilitate that (e.g. OneCRL or CRLSets are more reliable means of revocation),
then great, but we're not at a place yet where revocation is an intrinsic part
of the secure connection establishment.

> So here's the point I wish to make: If I'm presented with a certificate
> issued by WoSign and I'm told I have to decide for myself if I should trust
> it, I really don't see how I have any choice but to refuse to trust the cert
> even though my cert validation software might say it's OK. The above
> mechanisms available to me as an end user seem to be hopelessly compromised
> by WoSign's actions over the past 10 or so months.

You missed some other additional characteristics to consider, and ones that I
think significantly affect the conclusions made.

The first is a consideration of risk. The decision to trust or distrust - and
this isn't just among CAs or certificates - is more than just a binary yes or
no. It's a spectrum that varies with the risk involved. For example, if you
said I had a 1% of getting a papercut when doing some action, I'd probably be
willing to entertain that risk, but if you were to say I had a 1% risk of
dying, then I'd consider that a very risky thing indeed!

So the trust of a certificate, even in isolation (that is, not considering the
entire corpus of certificates out there) is weighted on a spectrum. For
example, if you had a domain whitelist, you would know that you only engage in
risky behaviour if you access a domain on that whitelist (as your first
mitigator of risk), but then you also have to consider what services the site
provides or what actions you're going to engage in (as the second mitigator of
risk) when evaluating that trust decision.

The other important factor that you're not considering is transparency. You're
assuming that you're having to only operate on the knowledge presented in front
of you with the certificate, and using only the knowledge you personally have.
However, when things are disclosed - such as via Certificate Transparency - you
need to factor in the other knowledge that may be had by other parties. For
example, an important party you're not considering is the domain holder - if
all the certificates are actually logged, or at least all the certificates you
might be asked to trust - then the domain holder has an opportunity to speak
out against any sort of misissuance. Similarly, you can trust that the
certificates are only valid for *that* domain - if there were certificates that
were able to facilitate abuse, you could trust that the community of technical
experts here would have alerted to such risk.

I hope this explains why your considerations of trustworthiness - all important
conditions I believe - may not be taking in the full picture, and it's within
that full picture, and with consideration of the risk, that there are
alternatives being proposed.