Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 10:47:06 +0000
From: Gervase Markham <g...@mozilla.org>
To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: Let's Encrypt Blocklist Incident, November 21 2016

On 22/11/16 20:16, j...@letsencrypt.org wrote:
> organization. Issuance to .mil is not allowed due to contractual
> obligations that are reflected in our Certification Practice
> Statement.

I have just been investigating this issue, as documented in the bug Kathleen
links to. Mozilla policy requires that certificates issued in contravention of
a CA's CP/CPS should be revoked, which LE have done.
Other than that, Mozilla policy does not directly require (somewhat to my
surprise) that a CA operate in accordance with its CP and CPS. We require this
indirectly because the audits that we require, require it.

So: should Mozilla's policy directly require that CAs operate in accordance
with the appropriate CP/CPS for the root(s) in our store? I can see both pros
and cons to directly mandating this.

Gerv
NOTICE: Protiviti is a global consulting and internal audit firm composed of
experts specializing in risk and advisory services. Protiviti is not licensed
or registered as a public accounting firm and does not issue opinions on
financial statements or offer attestation services. This electronic mail
message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. This message, together with any attachment, may contain confidential
and privileged information. Any views, opinions or conclusions expressed in
this message are those of the individual sender and do not necessarily reflect
the views of Protiviti Inc. or its affiliates. Any unauthorized review, use,
printing, copying, retention, disclosure or distribution is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately
advise the sender by reply email message to the sender and delete all copies of
this message. Thank you.