Between 11:30am and 4pm Pacific on November 21, 2016, a problem with the Let’s
Encrypt issuance blocklist was identified, confirmed, and fixed.

The issue was initially identified by a Let’s Encrypt operations engineer
during routine maintenance. A script is used to assemble a final blocklist
configuration from a set of input files. The engineer was adding a suffix to
the blocklist and noticed that it wasn’t being propagated to the final
blocklist configuration. Further investigation confirmed a bug in the script -
it incorrectly and silently failed to process a small number of blocklist
entries based on a formatting characteristic. The bug has been fixed and we are
reviewing policy around the code in question. Testing for the code will be
improved.

While a fix was being developed, Let’s Encrypt staff worked to identify all
blocks that had failed to propagate as well as any certificates that were
issued for those domains. The following certificates were found to have been
mis-issued by policy, though there is no sign that they were used maliciously
and domain control was properly demonstrated via DV validation.

gov.ir
https://crt.sh/?id=49145557 (Revoked)
https://crt.sh/?id=17321835 (Expired)
https://crt.sh/?id=17320010 (Expired)

gov.sy
https://crt.sh/?id=24753847 (Expired)

mil
https://crt.sh/?id=31920262 (Revoked)
https://crt.sh/?id=29886368 (Revoked)
https://crt.sh/?id=52210328 (Revoked)
https://crt.sh/?id=51226007 (Revoked)
https://crt.sh/?id=48632604 (Revoked)
https://crt.sh/?id=47382849 (Revoked)
https://crt.sh/?id=47464047 (Revoked)
https://crt.sh/?id=43269410 (Revoked)
https://crt.sh/?id=43268871 (Revoked)
https://crt.sh/?id=40478677 (Revoked)
https://crt.sh/?id=36321880 (Revoked)
https://crt.sh/?id=30291839 (Revoked)
https://crt.sh/?id=25207594 (Expired)

Issuance to gov.ir and gov.sy is not allowed as these entities are sanctioned
by the U.S. government and we are a U.S.-based organization. Issuance to .mil
is not allowed due to contractual obligations that are reflected in our
Certification Practice Statement.

All unexpired certificates have been revoked. Account contacts were notified.