(continuing top posting for consistency)

In order to clarify the potential risk/damage to the Web PKI, it would
be useful to clarify the following in a later report (since this would
require additional investigation):

Were the web identities (DNS names etc.) in the category C, D, E and F
certificates properly vetted as per the CP/CPS etc., the certificates
simply replaced the vetted organization name with "test" in the X.500
distinguished name?  Or were some of those issued for insufficiently
(or actually incorrect) web identities?

To the safety of the web PKI this makes a big difference, since if the
web identities were properly and correctly vetted, then the only real
danger was relying parties seeing the word "test" in some user
interfaces instead of the real organization name, thus conferring less
trust (failing closed).  If on the other hand the web identities were
insufficiently vetted, then the certificates conferred a security claim
to relying parties not being shown or otherwise inspecting the O= field
(failing open).