Jakob Bohm <jb-mozi...@wisemo.com> writes:

>DSA and ECDSA signatures are only secure if the hash algorithm is specified
>in the certificate, presumably as part of the AlgorithmIdentifier in the
>SubjectPublicKeyInfo.

It's in the (badly-named) signature field of the cert, if it was in the
signatureAlgorithm it wouldn't be covered by the sig.  Having said that, I
don't know how many implementations actually check whether what's in the
signature corresponds to the signatureAlgorithm, I tried it many years ago
(md5With... vs sha1With...) and nothing much seemed to notice, as long as the
signatureAlgorithm was the one that was correct for the signature.

Peter.