> I don't know how to say this any other way - but that's unbelievably
> sloppy. That's like saying you'll let your customers email their credit
> card numbers to you. You don't put anything that sensitive into an email
> address, ever. Any time I get a password emailed to me I change it
> immediately.
> Besides this is passing the blame to the customers. And there is a big
> difference of how informed each party was. Symantec knew about this
> exploit, customers didn't. They knew to take extra precautions, customers
> didn't have that knowledge.

Email validation is a *standard* method for issuing DV certificates used by
*most* CAs. Hundreds of certificates a day are issued with this method. It
is detailed in the CA/B Forum's Baseline Requirements which all trusted CAs
are bound to. If you have an issue with that, well, it is off topic to this
incident.

> He says it on his facebook post: "for some third party vendors, depending
> on the type of certificate, and how the certificate was issued, you could
> also retrieve private keys."

As you have quoted: "for some third party vendors." Symantec themselves had
nothing to do with storing private keys. If a reseller chose to do this,
the vulnerability lies with them. It would be inaccurate to say that a
Symantec reseller storing private keys is the same thing as Symantec
storing private keys.

According to Tarah's response, Chris' report involved three different types
of problems: legitimate problems with Symantec's API (which have been fixed
a while ago), unfortunate but uncontrollable general security issues (such
as the ability to control a user's account if you have access to their
email), and security issues of a third party (resellers storing private
keys).

I believe the 30,000 number they talked about relates to the same security
> issue that Chris Byrne identified. If it didn't then here's my question:
> how many certificates were affected by the Chris Byrne issue?

No, it does not. The issue Google has been dealing with in the blinkdev
thread - which I will refer to as the "RA Incident" - involves companies
which Symantec contracted with and had "independent authority to issue
certificates under Symantec intermediates
<https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA:Symantec_Issues>". This is separate from a
reseller, which is purely a business/marketing relationship that does not
grant the reseller any ability to issue certificates. The RA Incident is
ENTIRELY separate from what Chris Byrne has reported.

Ryan Sleevi (Google engineer) posted the proposal about how to handle the
RA Incident and you can see it makes no mention of any API issues:
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/eUAKwjihhBs/rpxMXjZHCQAJ

As far as I am aware, there have been no figures shared about the
certificates affected by the Chris Byrne issue.

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 9:01 PM, Daniel Baxter via dev-security-policy <

Vincent Lynch