IdenTrust operates an issuing CA for the US Federal Government - General
Services Administration - Access Certificates for Electronic Services Program
(ACES). It is a government sponsored PKI program separate from the Non-Federal
issuer programs under the Federal Bridge.

ACES certificates are can be used for identity (people signature and
authentication) or devices (server authentication). The individual ACES vendors
write their own CPS and the IdenTrust CPS meets CAB Forum BR and through a
WebTrust for SSL audit (https://cert.webtrust.org/SealFile?seal=2106&file=pdf).
IdenTrust operates their ACES issuing CA with a path to both the Federal Common
Policy CA and an IdenTrust public root. Since the issuing CA is certified with
the Federal PKI and not the root, there is no path to the IdenTrust public root
 from the rest of the Federal PKI.

I think this and DigiCert are the only two examples of a PKI hierarchy with the
Federal PKI that do not allow Federal PKI certificates to validate to the
public root of the company. This testing was outlined in the FPKI SSL testing
on github. https://github.com/18F/fpki-testing

>From a user experience perspective, companies (and government agencies) should
>use SSL certificates that fit their requirements. Trying to explain how to use
>PKI is hard enough so having a statement that says "Don't use this PKI except
>where and when in this configuration" just adds to the confusion. I'd say that
>statement fit the needs of the overall federal government effort in ensuring
>federal websites used SSL certificates which offered a consistent user
>experience.

@Peter -  But the policy mapping between these different use cases is perhaps
overly complex and certainly not user friendly. "
- Do you mean the policy mapping used by ACES and the Federal PKI?

This specific IdenTrust CA does not have a cross-certificate back to the
Federal PKI. It has two distinct validation paths to two different roots;
Federal Common Policy and the IdenTrust Public Root. Only IdenTrust issued ACES
Federal PKI certificates can validate with Mozilla.
NOTICE: Protiviti is a global consulting and internal audit firm composed of
experts specializing in risk and advisory services. Protiviti is not licensed
or registered as a public accounting firm and does not issue opinions on
financial statements or offer attestation services. This electronic mail
message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. This message, together with any attachment, may contain confidential
and privileged information. Any views, opinions or conclusions expressed in
this message are those of the individual sender and do not necessarily reflect
the views of Protiviti Inc. or its affiliates. Any unauthorized review, use,
printing, copying, retention, disclosure or distribution is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately
advise the sender by reply email message to the sender and delete all copies of
this message. Thank you.