On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
> On 05/05/2017 22:45, Dimitris Zacharopoulos wrote:
>>

>> On 5/5/2017 10:58 μμ, Peter Bowen wrote:
>>>

>> I don't know if all implementations doing path validation, use the EKUs
>> at the CA level but it seems that the most popular applications use it.
>>

> The issue would be implementations that only check the EE cert for
> their desired EKU (such as ServerAuth checking for a TLS client or
> EmailProtection checking for a mail client).  In other words, relying
> parties whose software would accept a chain such as
>
> root CA (no EKUs) => SubCA (EmailProtection) => EE cert (ServerAuth).

This is the Mozilla policy and Mozilla does not do that, so I think we
should be fine there.

>>> If you look at
>>> https://imagebin.ca/v/3LRcaKW9t2Qt, you will see that TCSC will end up
>>> being two independent tests.
>>>

> One other question: Does your proposal allow a TCSC that covers both
> ServerAuth and EmailProtection for the domains of the same organization?
>
> Or put another way, would your proposed language force an organization
> wanting to run under its own TCSC(s) to obtain two TCSCs, one for their
> S/MIME needs and another for their TLS needs?

Yes, it allows a single TCSC that does both.  The little three diamond
symbol means parallel, so both legs are evaluated at the same time.
If both get to "Goto B", then it is a single TCSC that can issue both
serverAuth and emailProtection certs.

Also note that there is no check for pathlen:0 on the TCSC, so it
could be a policy CA that has multiple issuing CAs below it.

Thanks,
Peter