On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 5:32 AM, Matthew Hardeman via dev-security-policy <

> I believe the underlying issue for many of these cases pertains to
> initiating a connection to a WebSocket running on some port on 127.0.0.1 as
> a sub-resource of an external web page served up from an external public
> web server via https.
>
> I believe that presently both Firefox and Chrome prevent that from
> working, rejecting a non-secure ws:/ URL as mixed content.

There are several distinct issues:
127.0.0.0/8 (and the associated IPv6 reservations ::1/128)
"localhost" (as a single host)
"localhost" (as a TLD)

The issues with localhost are (briefly) caught in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-west-let-localhost-be-localhost - there
is a degree of uncertainty with ensuring that such resolution does not go
over the network. This problem also applies to these services using custom
domains that resolve to 127.0.0.1 - the use of a publicly resolvable domain
(which MAY include "localhost", surprisingly) - mean that a network
attacker can use such a certificate to intercept and compromise users, even
if it's not 'intended' to be. See
https://w3c.github.io/webappsec-secure-contexts/#localhost

127.0.0.0/8 is a bit more special - that's captured in
https://w3c.github.io/webappsec-secure-contexts/#is-origin-trustworthy