Apparently, in at least one case, the certificate was issued directly(!) to
localhost by Symantec.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14598262

subject=/C=US/ST=Florida/L=Melbourne/O=AuthenTec/OU=Terms of use at
www.verisign.com/rpa (c)05/CN=localhost
issuer=/C=US/O=VeriSign, Inc./OU=VeriSign Trust Network/OU=Terms of use at
https://www.verisign.com/rpa (c)10/CN=VeriSign Class 3 Secure Server CA - G3
reply

Is this a known incident?