From RFC6962:

The signature on the TBSCertificate indicates the certificate
authority's intent to issue a certificate.  This intent is considered
binding (i.e., misissuance of the Precertificate is considered equal
to misissuance of the final certificate).

I don't think this text could be any more clear, and I'm frankly
astounded that any CA would try to argue they shouldn't be held to
account for them.

If you wouldn't issue a cert, don't issue the pre-cert. It's really that simple.

Alex

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 7:20 AM, Inigo Barreira via dev-security-policy <