From: Jonathan Rudenberg [mailto:jonat...@titanous.com]
Sent: jueves, 3 de agosto de 2017 16:52
To: Inigo Barreira <in...@startcomca.com>
Cc: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: StartCom cross-signs disclosed by Certinomis

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 04:47, Inigo Barreira via dev-security-policy
> <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
>
> For those which are not revoked are due to use different curves
> (P-384,
> P-521) that have been discussed in the mozilla m.d.s.p as well as the
> CAB Forum and there´s no conclusion yet, but in any case we´re not
> allowing to use them anymore. There´re curves allowed in the BRs that
> Mozilla does not include.
>
> 2. Other un-revoked certificates have the same error “ ERROR:
> Unallowed key usage for EC public key (Key Encipherment) ”
> https://crt.sh/?opt=cablint&id=153404034
> https://crt.sh/?opt=cablint&id=160150786
> https://crt.sh/?opt=cablint&id=149445010
> https://crt.sh/?opt=cablint&id=150133570

Let’s break this down, as you have confused a few issues with this subset of
the misissued certificates. Two certificates were issued with P-521 ECDSA keys,
which is not allowed by Mozilla policy (note that P-384 keys are allowed):

-
https://crt.sh/?q=87304EBF0F9391B8FFF7C8ED8D567F0340BCBAA6741972C030364DE5618C6757
-
https://crt.sh/?q=962C955ABC03FC00F514EA41B2838D85826CA7CAA419A85EC186F1646AD5C9B5

Thirteen certificates (including the two P-521 certificates) were issued with
the keyEncipherment bit set in the keyUsage extension (this is the message you
mentioned above) which is not allowed (RFC 3279 section 2.3.5, incorporated by
reference by RFC 5280 section 4.2.1.3, incorporated by reference by Baseline
Requirements section 7.1.2.4).

One certificate linked above was issued without the key parameters field set,
which is not allowed (RFC 3279 section 2.3.1, incorporated by reference by RFC
5280 section 4.1.2.7, incorporated by reference by Baseline Requirements
section 7.1.2.4):

- https://crt.sh/?opt=cablint&q=160150786

Hopefully this clarifies any misunderstandings around the problems with these
specific certificates.

Jonathan