On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 01:43:08PM -0700, Kathleen Wilson via
dev-security-policy wrote:
> However, I think it is fine for Certinomis to cross-sign with new StartCom
> subCA certs, as long as Certinomis ensures that Mozilla's Root Store
> Policy is being followed.

... which they didn't.  So there's that.

> > 1) Many of the certificates are improperly validated “test”
> > certificates, a practice that is extremely problematic and indicates a
> > lack of or circumvention of technical controls.
>
> Yes, this is problematic.  But other CAs have also had this problem, and
> for the other CAs we have worked with them to ensure the practice is
> stopped, tools/process put in place to prevent it in the future,
> problematic certs revoked, etc.  But this type of mis-issuance has not yet
> been considered grounds for adding the relevant intermediate cert to
> OneCRL.

Those are CAs which have been operational for some time though, and which
have certificates "in the wild" which would be distrusted, correct?  That's
a somewhat different case to this one, where nothing important is hanging
off the intermediate, so distrusting it doesn't hurt relying parties, only
the CA -- which is fine, because it's the CA's fault the distrust is
required, so it's entirely self-inflicted pain.

- Matt