This methodology of "letting everyone decide which parts of the spec/BRs
aren't important" doesn't make sense. If there's something wrong with the
spec, let's fix it! (Perhaps X.509 validation needs its own equivalent of
the "fetch" specification). Giving each CA unilateral authority to ignore
what they want is not how we get to a cleaner, better, more secure, spec or
PKI. BTW, the reason you know they were unilaterally ignoring things is
that this thread was started by an independent security researcher, and not
by the CAs in question!

If the CAs had noticed themselves, they could have sent an email to
m.d.s.p, "Hey, we noticed some of our certs were triggering warnings on
crt.sh, we looked into and it's because of an encoding issue with large
serials. We're revoking those certs, and looking into the bug in our
issuance code, but we're pretty sure this happened because the text in RFC
5280 is a bit vague, can we do something to make this more clear?"

Alex

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 9:25 PM, Peter Gutmann via dev-security-policy <