On Monday, 18 September 2017 15:50:16 UTC+1, Franck Leroy  wrote:
> This control that StartCom was not allowed to use our path was technical in
> place by the fact that I was the only one to have the intermediate cross
> signed certificates, stored (retained) in my personal safe.

I see. Three (groups of) questions as someone who does not operate a public CA:

When the cross signature certificate was signed did this result in some sort of
auditable record of the signing? A paper trial, or its electronic equivalent -
so that any audit team would be aware that the certificate existed, regardless
of whether they were present when it was created ?

(If so) Was this record inadequate to reproduce the certificate itself, for
example just consisting of a serial number and other facts ?

Many important functions of a CA are protected by "no lone zone" type
practices, but would it be possible for you to retrieve the certificate from
this safe on your own, without oversight by other employees ?

I suspect all the above questions have answers that would be obvious to me if I
had worked for a public CA but I hope you will humour me with answers anyway.